This content is paid for by an advertiser and published by CP Brand Solutions. The Christian Post newsroom was not involved in creating this content. Learn more about CP Brand Solutions.
Missionaries do amazing work to further the Kingdom, spread the gospel and help those who need it most. They are mentors, role models and an inspiration to Christians everywhere. They shouldn’t have to worry about getting the healthcare they need while they live out their calling around the world. Unfortunately, missionaries can face significant challenges getting the care they need for a variety of reasons.
Health insurance wasn't designed for missionary work.
Most health insurance options were designed for someone who lives in one place and works one job. There are provisions for major life events, such as moving or having a baby, but these are considered exceptions to how coverage usually works.
But missionaries’ lives are much less standardized. They often travel in and out of the U.S., living in multiple places throughout the year. They might be professionally employed, or they may live off of support from a church. Some missionaries live overseas for just a month or two, while others commit to serving a specific community for years.
When all of these factors combine, the result is that missionaries have a much harder time than the average person finding — and keeping — affordable health care options for themselves and their families.
Where health insurance falls short for missionaries:
- Costs can change dramatically depending on where missionaries serve and how long their mission lasts.
- Because of the added risk, many missionaries pay more for health insurance than the average person.
- Most options don’t follow missionaries overseas and must be reapplied for upon returning to the United States.
A better way to do health care
The good news is that missionaries aren’t limited to the insurance market to get peace of mind and financial support for medical costs. Health care sharing ministries, like Medi-Share, offer an affordable and reliable alternative for missionaries.
A health care sharing ministry is a biblical community where members live out the calling to share in one another’s burdens. Each household contributes a monthly amount (a “share”) which pays for the eligible medical bills of other members, and they also commit to pray for one another and encourage each other along the way.
For missionaries, Medi-Share is a particularly great option for many reasons:
- Medi-Share goes with you wherever God calls you. It doesn’t end just because you leave the country, which means you also don’t need to reapply upon returning.
- Medi-Share is also much more affordable than other health care options, with many of our members saving as much as 50% on their monthly health care expenses.
- Medi-share is flexible. You can use any doctor you want while you are serving — no need to worry about a network or approved providers.
- Medi-Share is also a member-driven organization. Every year, their members vote on their program guidelines, which means your money only supports things that align with their shared Christian values.
- Medi-Share gives you the built-in support of a global Christian community. It’s reassuring knowing you’ve got fellow believers all over the world praying for you, especially in the often uncertain moments of medical need when you are away from the familiarity of home.
How Medi-Share works for missionaries:
Learn More about Medi-Share
As a part of the Medi-Share community, you’ll also enjoy:
- Quick Member Reimbursement
- No Lapse in Membership while Traveling
- Applications Accepted All Year
- No Annual Caps, Lifetime Limits or Re-Qualification
- No Bill Too Large
- 50% Savings on Monthly Health Care Costs
- Health Care that Supports Biblical Values
You can learn more about Medi-Share for missionaries on Medi-Share Global page. If you have questions, they are always happy to help. Call (855) 497-4273 anytime M-F from 8am-9pm EST or Saturday from 9am-3pm.